Farmers Union of Malawi
Farmers Union of Malawi (FUM) is an umbrella body of farmers and farmer organizations in Malawi which was established in 2003 under the Trustees Incorporation with the aim of creating a conducive policy environment for farmers in Malawi. It is founded on three key operational areas namely; Institutional development, Policy and advocacy, and Agribusiness and market access.
To ensure a union of Malawi Farmers with a powerful collective voice to advance the interest of farmers.
To promote and safeguard the interests of all farmers in Malawi and create a conducive agricultural operating environment for improved agricultural productivity, market access and increased farmer income.
The overall objective of FUM is to ensure that farmers effectively and meaningfully participate in the design, formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of policies, strategies, programs and plans aimed at improving the livelihoods of farmers in Malawi.
Its strategic framework is based on five pillars namely;
- Improving the agricultural policy and regulatory operating environment for market led growth and increased farmer incomes;
- Development of institutional/organizational capacity of FUM member farmer organizations and provision of member services;
- Women farmer empowerment;
- Development and implementation of climate change mitigation programs
- FUM organizational development